odd question?

Hi all,
I hope I ask this clearly.
I *believe* I may have found a source for local Linux help here.
As I sated a while back  I intend using ssh telnet to reach this box.
However I may need to explain to the person helping me about the changes that I believe? now might require too much work to insure speech in later editions of Debian. the need to compile or use an older Kernel? I do not pretend to have that fact correctly, only I recall others making mention of this need. I have no interest so much in using speech on this box. still I may have a strong argument for my older editions of Debian based on the older Kennel still existing in squeeze.
Thanks,
Karen