Re: changing soundcards

Have you installed the alsa-utils package? While aumix works OK for ALSA, it is not a good choice and I think was abandoned upstream. It uses OSS which is the old sound system, so using it also requires the oss-compat package. OSS stands for the open sound system and is still used on the BSD platform, but hasn't been widely used on Linux for many years now. Either amixer or alsamixer are better choices. I'm not sure why alsa-utils wasn't installed automatically. Also, as you found out, aumix doesn't work with Pulse at all, so it'll be useless in Gnome. All ALSA programs (aplay, alsamixer, amixer) let you pick what card to use. The modification to the configuration is a one-time fix to not disable your USB sound device.