Re: Best command-line distro

Debian stable shows brltty 4.4. Vinux 4.0 has brltty 4.5. I don't have a debian testing machine around to check the version. But the last time I tried debian testing, code named jessie, it had a lot of problems particularly with the character interface. Of course, if you're just using brltty, that probably doesn't matter.

I was going to post an answer to your original question saying that you were asking for something pretty difficult. A distro that specializes in having the latest versions of most packages is also going to have more problems. Usually, ubuntu is a pretty good compromise between stability and new packages. If I was you, I'd give ubuntu another try. Just about any distro should work pretty well in character mode.

Another thing you might try is sonar. I haven't used sonar since they switched to an manjero based system. But when they were basing their distro on ubuntu, it was excellent. They do focus on the graphical user environment though.

Also, I am pretty sure that brltty uses udev rules to detect your braille displayand start the brltty daemon. If you need a newer version of brltty, it may be because theyadded a new udev rule for your braille display.

Anyway, the point is that you shouldn't have to worry about which distro to use to get brltty started. They should all do that subject to the caveat above. It's the package, not the distro.