Re: Any Accurate O C R Programs in DOS I can run in Linux?

It looks as if tesseract can do something called "orientation and script detection" but it doesn't do it by default. I haven't been able to try it since my scanner is at home. But here is a quote from the tesseract man page. Note that it says the default (option 3) is to not do OSD.

--- begin quote ---
NAME
       tesseract - command-line OCR engine

SYNOPSIS
       tesseract imagename outbase [-l lang] [-psm N] [configfile ...]

OPTIONS
[...]
       -psm N
Set Tesseract to only run a subset of layout analysis and assume a certain form of image. The options for N are:

               0 = Orientation and script detection (OSD) only.
               1 = Automatic page segmentation with OSD.
               2 = Automatic page segmentation, but no OSD, or OCR.
               3 = Fully automatic page segmentation, but no OSD. (Default)
               4 = Assume a single column of text of variable sizes.
5 = Assume a single uniform block of vertically aligned text.
               6 = Assume a single uniform block of text.
               7 = Treat the image as a single text line.
               8 = Treat the image as a single word.
               9 = Treat the image as a single word in a circle.
               10 = Treat the image as a single character.