Re: Just an intro.

Just a note that qemu will use kvm if hardware virtualization is available, so you won't get that performance hit with qemu in those cases.

On 03/24/2013 04:50 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:
First, you'll need an empty partition for Linux.  I'm familiar with
Debian, but any of them should work.  My dad preferred Ubuntu and had no
problems. The installer should install a boot loader, GRUB which lets
you access both Windows and Linux.  I don't use GRUB on my primary MBR
due to my own choice, but with UEFI, you probably won't have an option.
As I said, I prefer dual boot because I can switch back and forth as
needed.  What I have here is as follows:

sda1: Windows XP
sda2: 10 GB scratch partition
sda3: Debian
sda4: swap
sda5: extended
sda6: large NTFS partition

I have a second drive with a FAT32 partition, so I can easily exchange
files between both operating systems.  I've learned from experience that
it makes it much, much easier to have a universal FAT32 or NTFS
partition which can be read by both.  With the ntfs-3g package, NTFS
support is very good now and I use it somehwat often.  If you have a big
drive, FAT32 is very slow and not a good choice.

For a virtual machine, there are several.  If you want a free option,
look at VirtualBox, or virtualbox-ose on Debian.  If you don't care if
it's free as in open source, VMWare is fine.  KVM and Qemu work great on
Linux, but not in Windows.  KVM only works with the Linux kernel and
requires hardware virtualization.  Qemu runs in Windows but is very
slow.  KVM and Qemu are basically the same except that KVM is part of
the kernel and requires hardware virtualization while Qemu is more
portable and should run on almost any Unix.  Alternatively, Vinux has a
prepackaged download with VMWare Player and a live CD image which you
can run and that might be easier for getting up and running right away.
I haven't used it, but I looked at it. http://www.vinux-project.org/

I realize that much of this information is probably brief and unclear,
so feel free to write off-list.  I do offer a $99 per year support
package specializing in Linux and Debian, so that might be a good option
for you. You can sign up by the quarter as well.  Let me know if you're
interested. Feel free to ask for clarification if something doesn't make
sense.