Any Individual ls File size limit?

Well, last year, actually yesterday, I had an unusual freeze, as I did a paste in speakup. Now, while grabbing articles in trn to a single file, I do an
ls -l
Once it reaches 2147483647 the number never increases, even though it continues to say its appending articles. I have another 35GB file from last week which does display its larger size. So is their some kind of single file limit in Debian testing, or is this caused by an unusual shutdown? I remember in DOS when examining available space, it was never larger than 2.147GB.
Thanks in advance for any guidance or any packages I need to grab
Hart