Re: youtube converting in Linux?

youtube-dl's --audio-format option may help you. I don't currently use that option, since I pick out the link from the HTML5 source, but it should convert the file painlessly. I also tested
http://www.convertfiles.com/
using one of the text-based browsers you mentioned, since it works very well for me, but I couldn't get it to work in the Links browser I tried. You may have better luck with Elinks or Lynx, but I still think youtube-dl using the --audio-format option may be your best bet for now.
~Kyle