Re: debian on a laptop?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Karen Lewellen wrote:

From my experience reading and the like, actually Janina told me this ages
back, it is a good idea to have someone at your end who is at least vaguely familiar with Linux if devoting an entire machine to this for the first time.

This is not so much the case as it used to be, particularly if it's not your only machine and you can use other means to get assistance from the net.

Just reading SOME of the commands one must type makes me dizzy sometimes lol.
I run both a production and a nonprofit, am a radio journalist and professional singer. I do not mind tinkering in DOS, because I learned it well when I had more time for learning. I have far far less time to completely construct this system myself from the ground up without someone used to and familiar with the speech aspects, and the compiling requirements of Linux nearby to call.

There is less and less need to compile anything these days, unless you have very special requirements. Certainly I have not done a kernel compilation in literally years.

I am not lazy, just honest. I would rather concentrate on learning how to run what I must run, once constructed to make running easy if that makes sense, read documentation with a framework of understanding that moves me forward. I know what my talents are, and what they are not, or more how I can use my time these days grin.

I know where you're coming from. I don't have the luxury of being able to mess with things that I used to have. Fortunately, speech and Braille solutions are now part of mainstream distributions, and therefore integrate much more nicely into the "easy" way of doing things.

I've only ever used Debian, and others may well evangelise their own distributions, but I certainly find it to be good. Even using the most recent stable release from 2 years ago, I was able to install it from scratch using Speakup and an external speech synthesiser. The next version of Debian is due to be released shortly.

As for Dectalk, I'm not a big expert on this synth but you're likely to need to use hardware for this, and I don't know if it will work with Orca.

Geoff.