Re: debian on a laptop?

Hi there,
will try to speak to your points.
From my experience reading and the like, actually Janina told me this ages
back, it is a good idea to have someone at your end who is at least vaguely familiar with Linux if devoting an entire machine to this for the first time. Just reading SOME of the commands one must type makes me dizzy sometimes lol. I run both a production and a nonprofit, am a radio journalist and professional singer. I do not mind tinkering in DOS, because I learned it well when I had more time for learning. I have far far less time to completely construct this system myself from the ground up without someone used to and familiar with the speech aspects, and the compiling requirements of Linux nearby to call. Given my druthers I would duplicate my first learning experience, get trained in the screen reader the basics of the operating system and a couple of my major programs, and learn where to look or read for help.
I would happily pay for this, in town if I could find it.

I am not lazy, just honest. I would rather concentrate on learning how to run what I must run, once constructed to make running easy if that makes sense, read documentation with a framework of understanding that moves me forward. I know what my talents are, and what they are not, or more how I can use my time these days grin. I think too I would rather learn first hand with someone, if I must do the constructing, but would rather not have to do much construction, certainly not alone. My computers are critical tools in my trade, I want my Linux machine to be what my other machines already are. ones I can count on as functional with a minimum amount of bugs, constant upgrading and issues. I want to enhance how I make my living and that means setup so I can count on it, and debian seems to put out solid packages.
Think out of, ormostlyout of the box.
As for my goals, two, perhaps three. I have in a sealed box the edition of wordperfect created for Linux / UNIX. unless I am sure this can be run, I am not going to do word processing, leaving only two. I have never been a windows user, so am not working from that frame of reference at all. solid command line is my life as I use DOS every single day, several hours a day. I seek slightly more Internet flexibility than I am getting now in terms of browsers. if that means ebrowse then terrific, or firefox if it works in debian. Ray keeps speaking of ice Wiesel, but I have not heard enough to know if this is the best alternative option. if I can I want to access youtube materials, audio in particular, or youtube like material as well thas I am starting to need this more and more for work. Lillypond is a composing package, so I would want to run this properly as well. I would add and include in my Internet concept getting and downloading books, both nls to my player, not on the computer, and or library e-book / audio book content and burning that content to a cd for playing n say a victor reader classic, or a standard cd player. as for my desire for dectalk, I appreciate that others have different experiences. Still I have used dectalk for computing and stand alone reading, I have a reading edge, for more than 15 years. my goal is to add this computer to my professional tools, fill in the gaps that I cannot already do elsewhere and with as little down time as possible. Actually my favorite voice still likely remains the old vert ones, but oh well. getting to working is what I want to minimize, meaning I want to choose in advance hardware in a fashion that will work. I would like to be able to travel with this machine, use the Internet either via dsl or dial up if the only option, on the road, as well as plug it into my rooter here at home when I need it. since I can do dsl in DOS, and friends come over with their windows laptops and go on the Internet at my house, I feel sure it should be achievable in Linux too.
Is this more clear?
Karen