Re: Looking for a CD Burner in Debian

Chris asked...

Yes, OGG/Vorbis is a lossy encoding.  There's also OGG/FLAC, which is
lossless.  Personally, I cannot hear the difference between lossless
audio and a lossy codec at high bitrates.  I tend to encode music at 128
or 256 kbits/second, and that has always been quite acceptable to me.
Does anyone else notice a difference between lossless and
high-bitrate-lossy, or is my hearing worse than I think it is?
absolutely, but I work in radio and as a musician. many factors may prevent you from noticing it however, including playback material, the source material itself, and what you are listening too. try comparing if you came the same song in lossly, and in the real thing like a cd or lp. There are specific parameters for cd quality for example, 256 is too high. My question about socks though is if you can burn a real audio cd with it? one that can be played in standard stereo equipment?

Karen

-- Chris