Re: Moving Only Sub-Directories?

On 05/05/2010 09:00 AM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
for i in *;do

I thought about this, but the OP described having large quantities of files
&  directories -- I've hit a shell-expansion limit on "*" before

Interesting. Do you know more or less what it was?

It's an OS-imposed limit rather than a shell-imposed limit. On my Linux box (Debian Testing), I can run "getconf ARG_MAX" at the command line and it returns 2097152, so my shell expansion (the "*") can't exceed about 2 megs of text. It's a high limit, but I've used Linux boxes where this limit was much smaller (down near 128k) which is much easier to hit. So I just default to using the "find" method so I don't have to think about it.

Yes, 2 megs of merely file-name listing is a HUGE directory (grins)

-tim