Re: Ripping Streams Directly to mp3?

Hi,

I'm running MPlayer from the Debian package which doesn't include mencoder for some silly reason. So I can't test this suggestion.

Couldn't you do:

mencoder <url> -o <filename>.mp3

You may need to use options like "-of rawaudio" and "-oac mp3lame", and you'll probably want to use "-lameopts" to specify MP3 encoder options ("-lameopts help" apparently gives you help).

Possible example:

mencoder -of rawaudio -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 <url> -o <filename.mp3>

Like I say, i'm not in a position to test this, I've just looked at the very comprehensive and sometimes daunting MPlayer man page. Search for "GENERAL ENCODING OPTIONS" to get to the mencoder stuff.

Curious to know how you get on.

Geoff.