Ripping Streams Directly to mp3?

This has been chalenging for several years. I am useing a script which uses mencoder to rip video to an avi and audio streams to a wave. Sure the finished product plays nicely, but since its in .wav formatif that wave file runs more than 3hours, lame will not handle it, won't even know its there. So, in reality on May 06 I want to record the stream of Sky-News during British Elections, directly to an mp3. Mp3 is the final format I keep most of my audio news-coverage in. In mp3 I can record many more hours of:
mms://live2.wm.skynews.servecast.net/skynews_wmlz_audio
Can some1 please suggest a direct way of doing this without making waves. I am still in FC9
Thanks so much in advance
Hart