Re: Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

Another package good to install is edbrowse and after installation copy the ebsetup script out of the /usr/share/edbrowse/directory tree to a user account and run it as the local user not root and it will finish your installation of edbrowse for you.On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, trev.saunders@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Dan,

Use speakup if you will be using the command line heavily -- I believe
it comes with vinux, but if not you'll have to install the modules
yourself. (I don't use vinux.)

Do you know if Speakup works with a software synthesizer?

yes, it works very well with espeak, and can support other software synths through speech-dispatcher.

- install MySQL, Apache2, Perl, and use cpan for compiling and
installing some perl modules;

Apt can install most if not all of these.

I can compile them, no problem, but I would like to be able to read the
console for seeing at least the last screen displayed, for viewing errors...
but I guess Speakup can do this.

unless you have a very good reason use the packagemanager.  The packagemanager will deal with the dependencies for you, and will generally make your life a lot easier.  If you really want to control compile options and compile from source you might want to look into gentoo.  But yes speakup is a good console screen reader, and compiling will be possible if necessary.

- use an accessible editor, an accessible browser and an accessible
email client.

I'm a fan of command line apps -- I like emacs, as it can do a lot
eg. automatically do your indentation. Also you should use emacspeak
with it to take advantage of all it's features. Vi, nano and most of the
other editors are fine with speakup, emacs will work with speakup, but
you'll have a better experience with emacspeak.

Well, I have tried Emacspeak in the past but I didn't find it nice enough. I
don't like to need remembering anything, and I like to find all the features
the editor offers in menus or in other ways, but not in help files.
A Linux clone of TextPad or EditPlus or UltraEdit would be very good.

Nano is nice, but it doesn't use (as far as I know) the possibility of
finding/replacing using regular expressions, the possibility of running the
currently opened file with a certain interpreter and storing the results
from STDOUT and STDERR in another accessible window, and many other missing
features.

My biggest fear is that I won't find a good editor under Linux, but only
extremes - powerful editors like Emacs and vi that have a very old and
strange interface, or easy to use editors like nano or pico that don't have
more features than Notepad.

Octavian