Hi Trev,

From: <trev.saunders@xxxxxxxxx>
> Personally I prefer yasr to speakup, and like vim as an editor.  vi
> m works well with yasr, and is useable with speakup.

Well, maybe my espectations are wrong because they are based mostly on
my Linux - cli experience in a SecureCRT console from Windows, but I
was lost each time vi started as a default editor.

To be more specific, I would like to be able to use an editor that
lets me to use the arrow keys to read the text line by line and word
by word and char by char with up and down arrows, control+left and
right arrows, or simply the left and right arrows, allow me to select
the text using the shift key, selected text that can be read by the
screen reader when I want to, to be able to copy/paste the text from a
program into another with a simple combination of key, execute the
currently open program source code with a specified interpreter that
also offers me the possibility of specifying some parameters,
find/replace using regular expressions with a simple combination of
keys, and very few other things.

I ask if these are possible, because as I said, when vi was opened in
an SSH console and I tried to use the arrow keys, I used to hear only
some beep sounds, without beeing able to read anything, and instead of
giving combinations of keys for exiting/saving like Control+S,
Control+Q or something like that, I needed to type simple text
commands like ":", which is very strange for a modern editor.

> I think by far the best option is mutt.

I guess mutt is accessible under Linux. I have tried a Windows version
that had big accessibility issues.
Is mutt able to create/display html mail messages?
Can it group the messages by conversation? Can we define more folders
and rules for moving the messages automaticly in those folders based
on some conditions?
I guess the answer is yes, but I want to know what I should expect.

> agreed, bash makes a pretty excellent file manager.

Well, for some tasks yes. I would be very happy if Windows command
prompt would have the features of bash. But for some tasks a file
manager like Windows Explorer is much better, but it is good if there
is one for Linux also.

However as I said, my biggest fear remains the text editor. Under
Windows there is no text editor without issues. The best is TextPad,
but it doesn't fully support UTF-8 which is very bad.
I have tried tens of editors under Windows and all of them have
issues, but under Linux I think I don't have so many editors to choose
unfortunately.

Octavian

How do
you spend it?