Re: Console based linux.

debian slackware and grml are three distros that just use the standard cd's to do accessible installations.On Tue, 27 May 2008, Tim Chase wrote:

 Can anyone recomend any linux that only come as a console-based interface.

As you mention, Debian will do quite nicely. For a while I had an ancient laptop (P133 with 32 megs of memory) that ran console Debian. It worked fairly well -- minus the lousy battery.

 Debian of course is but how about gento or how do you spell it?

Yes, Gentoo should work just fine from the console, as would any number of distros such as Red Hat/Fedora, Slackware (my first distro), and others.

Personally, I've used the power of "apt-get" in Debian and it's hard to go back to other distros.

 Can  you install gento with speech or braille?

I'm nearly certain that it's possible to use speech/braille with most distros, however, the ability to use them during the installation process is a bit more particular. Most that allow for it provide a specialized/modified boot-CD to accommodate.

-tim