To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: Console based linux.

You can also use ubuntu server which does not install the X windows
stuff.  I don't know if the installer works with speech or braille
however.

Tom
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:29:34PM -0500, Tim Chase wrote:
Can anyone recomend any linux that only come as a console-based interface.

As you mention, Debian will do quite nicely.  For a while I had an
ancient laptop (P133 with 32 megs of memory) that ran console Debian.  It
worked fairly well -- minus the lousy battery.

Debian of course is but how about gento or how do you spell it?

Yes, Gentoo should work just fine from the console, as would any number
of distros such as Red Hat/Fedora, Slackware (my first distro), and
others.

Personally, I've used the power of "apt-get" in Debian and it's hard to

Can  you install gento with speech or braille?

I'm nearly certain that it's possible to use speech/braille with most
distros, however, the ability to use them during the installation process
is a bit more particular.  Most that allow for it provide a
specialized/modified boot-CD to accommodate.

-tim