Date:        Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:54:21 -0600
From:        Martin McCormick <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo:    Linux for blind general discussion <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:    Re: Ubuntu installation.

"Anders Holmberg" writes:
Is it screenreader support directly in the ubuntu installation when
you > load
it from the dvd?
I have version 8.04 here on a dvd which i am thinking of installing.
    It should talk after activating the screen reader. I
haven't had much time to try it out yet, but I did get the Live CD and
boot it on a laptop. I waited until the disk slowed down and tried Enter
then down arrow then F5 then 3. The system
loaded stuff of the CD for about 7 minutes during which time
there was a tiny couple of drum beats and then a musical chord
containing more purcussion sounds and then, so far, dead
silence.

    That tells me the sound interface works but I must have
not hit the magic combination to get speech going.

The image I used for the live cd is the current live ISO image from the
ubuntu site.

Martin