Re: hardware synthesizer

First thing to find out is if you even have a slot available to install a serial card. If no, then look around for a usb to male 9 pin serial adapter and buy it. If you can also buy a serial modem hook that up to your adapter and check your hardware inventory after the external serial modem is installed. Then with a telecommunications program send the command AT <cr> out over the new serial port. If OK comes up on your screen, you've just verified both your adapter and modem work. You might also look at http://www.rcsystems.com/ and see what you can find there.On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Negoslav Sabev wrote:

Hello,

Now I have enough money to buy a hardware synthesizer. As you know they are not so cheep. The last year some kind person pointed me to www.axsol.com to check for such an animal. The synth that works under Linux, DOS and Windows is DekTalk USB, but it needs RS232 serial port in order to work with DOS and Linux. Does someone here uses this synth with linux and speakup? And is it possible this to be accomplished without the serial port. As you know the new desktops, laptops and netbooks don't have such port installed. If no one has answer, please point me to the right place to ask such questions. Unfortunately the person I wrote to from the axsol.com don't know the answers.Also if you know about alternative synthesizers or ways to use speakup from boot to shutdown I'd be glad to hear from you

Negoslav