Re: advice please

(sorry if this is a dupe...my mailer gave an odd error when I sent previously, so I'm not sure it went through the first time)

A work computer will shortly be spare to requirements and would be a
good opportunity for me to begin using Linux. this PC is a 2.6
celleron with 512 Mb of RAM.

These specs are considerably better than my own Linux box (an 800 MHz celeron laptop with only 320 megs of memory) and it runs fine. Not stellar, but fine. It should run quite nicely on the box you describe.

Obscure hardware is the one piece it's hard to tell about:
-unsupported sound card (rare)
-soft-modem (if you have dialup rather than broadband)
-network card (NIC) or wireless built-in

The NIC isn't usually a problem, but sometimes wireless can be ornery.

I would appreciate any advice that would get me up and
running.

I'd burn a bootable CD of your favorite Linux distro (such as Ubuntu, GRML, or I believe there's a Red-Hat live-CD with Speakup built into it) and just try it at work to see what's identified. It might even be something you could test while the PC is still at work...just pop in the CD (might need sighted help to change the BIOS boot-order), and then probe around to see what does or doesn't work.

If you're comfortable in Dos, it will take you a short while to get used to the more powerful command-prompt in Linux (mostly learning the new names for common commands you already use), but once you get used to it, it's hard to go back. I still use both regularly, and a true shell beats the pants off of Dos.

Linux also has a much richer catalog of software designed to work well from the command-line. Text editors, calenders, browsers, email, todo-managers, calculators, spreadsheets, etc. I've started cataloging some of my favorites (or ones I hear that others use commonly) at

http://tim.thechases.com/bvi/console.html

Hope this helps,

-tim