Re: OCR on linux

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

Daniel Dalton wrote:
If I was to buy a new scanner what model is the easiest to set up and the best supported?
What one would you recommend?

Hi,

Pretty much any scanner should work nowadays. You want one that's TWAIN compatible. That includes most Epson, Cannon, HP, etc. You probably want a USB scanner. The only thing to watch is that some require their own Windows

OK, I'll make sure I do that.

drivers which of course won't work in Linux. This seems true of HP but I had

indeed

this with an Epson also. I don't yet do scanning in Linux so I can't really give specific help besides that, but if in doubt, look for something like

oh ok

"best scanner" or "supported scanner models" at http://www.google.com/linux

I will.

If you get one to work, I would be interested in your results. I am interested in trying to scan documents in Linux and have found the OCR thread interesting. I would also be interested in which engine produces the best

I have too... and I'll let you know how I go...

text quality. I know from trying different ones under Windows that results can drastically vary depending on many factors.

I didn't do this under windows, but ok.

You asked about page images with text. First, be aware that there are at least 4 different types of .tif images. One is compressed, one is for faxes, one is for multiple pages and one is the standard, old fashioned, single page. You want the later. You'll know that it's right because it will only support one page per document and the files will be very big, about 1 MB per file. I've had bad luck with the other .tif variations. Also, there are many

oh ok
I hope this is helpful to you. Have a good weekend.

It is. Have a good weekend too!

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/