Re: volume help please

microphone or line in. On my system, I do this to adjust my playback volume, but adjust as necessary for your sound card. Watch the case.

amixer set Master playback 100,100

In one of my keymap files (in this case, .fluxbox/keys as I use fluxbox as my window manager) I have the following:

Shift Mod4 V :exec /usr/bin/amixer set Master 5-,5-
Control Mod4 v :exec /usr/bin/amixer set Master 3+,3+
Mod4 v :exec /usr/bin/amixer set Master toggle

which map to the soft-keys on my laptop keyboard for volume-down, volume-up, and toggle-mute. In whatever environment you're using, such keymaps might be configured to give you one-key access to these three functions.

Or, they could be wrapped in a script to simplify them.

-tim