Re: What is a talking X

josh wrote:
but gnome will only run on newer computers, right? gnome and orca? if you want to use linux on an older computer you have to use the cli because XFCE desktop is not accessible yet.

Even if it were, I wouldn't use it. Regardless of whether GNOME will run on a computer or not, it's good to know how to navigate in the command-line. Graphical environments are powerful and can often insulate you from what's really going on, but let me tell you something. If something goes wrong, or GNOME won't boot, or an update was applied incorrectly, you're placed right back into the console. Learn the console, and you can be comfortable with Linux just about anywhere.

As for only new computers running GNOME, that isn't necessarily so. What is old? What is new? I've seen machines with as little as a 4 GB hard drive and 256 MB of RAM running GNOME and Orca. It wasn't great, but it worked. Disable services you don't need, and you'll see that even in GNOME, Linux is fast.

- Steve