Re: RSS readers and podcatchers

rss2email doesn't actually do what its description claims. There's another text reader called raggle for rss too.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, David Csercsics wrote:

Geoff Shang wrote:
 Hi,

 I must be one of the last people on Earth to dip my towe in both of
 these particular ponds, but I am finally doing it and would like
 suggestions of software to use for reading RSS feeds and downloading
 podcasts. I've found Snownews for RSS feeds and plan on looking at it
 (it sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for). Have not
 investigated podcatching at all.

 I'm looking for text-mode software, not Gnome.

I run bashpodder from a cron job for podcasts and i usually use snownews which generally does a good job for RSS, though you need extensions for it to handle atom feeds correctly. Rss2email works, however, it'll fill your inbox in a hurry if you subscribe to a large number of feeds as I do. I already get a lot of mail as it is so this is not handy. I also find rss2email to be a bit clunky because it emails you the url for the article but you then have to paste that to a browser to actually look at the content. This doesn't seem useful when you could get an RSS reader like snownews and just press o after you've looked at the description which will happily put you in your favourite browser and give you the info.