Re: [Fwd: Puppy Linux]

Those are difficulties. For speak-pup.iso, which arrow choice gets it talking?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Tony Baechler wrote:

Yes, unless there is either a. no sound card, b. no supported kernel driver, c. no speakers, or d. the person doesn't understand the language of the prompt. It's a nice idea, but I suspect the Mac has better out of the box sound card support. Linux will support sound cards via alsa drivers but I never could get it to work when I tried except for very basic wave files on a generic SB16. Maybe a better way would be to probe the serial ports for a hardware synthesizer but that could screw up other serial devices. I think the best bet would be a beep through the PC speaker after the system is booted and waiting at a prompt. That still isn't perfect as newer computers don't have PC speakers or they are very quiet but it's better than no feedback at all.

Jude DaShiell wrote:
 pebrock may fill the bill for the accessible chat program and so far as I
 know, it's floss. If a self-booting linux gets made that puts a message up
 on the screen and waits a certain amount of time for a response then
 rather than going on with bringing up the rest of the system asks a
 question over the sound system and if it gets an affirmative answer turns
 on software speech for the rest of the session then you'll have something
 akin to the tiger install environment for the apple macintosh as well as
 leopard.