Re: Quick question before I do something silly?

I normally don't post "I agree" type messages, but I do agree in this case. I had a hard time getting the boot floppy to work with speech. Granted most of my trouble had to do with Microsoft Virtual PC which I resorted to after I couldn't get Bochs or Qemu to work, but it would have been helpful to have something already done. I see no problem with leaving JAWS for DOS on there as HJ released it as freeware in I think 1997. It was long before FS bought them. It might be public domain for all I know but probably not. I had full manuals and zips of the program disks at one time but I'm sure FS pulled them by now. There was no activation or anything else required. The only concern I see is making sure kernel.sys and the command shell get updated in a reasonably timely manner to avoid FAT32 driver issues and the like. I played with a very early version of FreeDOS which had stability problems, and even the kernel shipping with 1.0 could use bug fixes.

Janina Sajka wrote:
John Heim writes:
I got a bootable diskette with FreeDOS and jaws for DOS though. So I had it so that my PC would come up talking when booted from a diskette

Any chance you'd be willing to share a dd image of that disk? Even if
you removed JAWS, it would still be helpful to see the configuration.

I think there will be continuing utility in DOS based boots for simple
tasks, like flashing as I mentioned in a previous post. I should think
we should be able to share a reasonable setup for that in the community,
so that we aren't all reinventing the same thing on our own.