Creating BRLTTY as a .deb package

Hello,

When downloading BRLTTY I noticed there was a source file (Which I used to install) as well as a rpm file (redhat package manager I guess) I wasn't sure what the rpm src one was for, but that's probably because I don't use redhat.

Anyway would it be ok if I created a .deb package of BRLTTY for debian? Would there be any licensing issues?

I found a howto on creating .deb packages and I am unsure on the following
-BRLTTY dependencies
-How to find out how much space BRLTTY needs to install
-As the package manager do I put my name? Or do one of the BRLTTY developers have to do this? -The file hierarchy of BRLTTY? So I can have a script that removes it completely and installs it completely. Is this information in the manual of BRLTTY? -Will my settings be used for the .deb? Or can I just make the .deb install everything and then its up to the user to run sudo brltty -b braille_display -d /dev/whatever -t what_ever_braille_code_they_use

I know that's a lot of questions.
But if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Would a .deb package make it easier for people on debian to install?
Also I noticed that brltty 3.7.2 or maybe its 3.72 is in the debian repo. It hasn't been updated for a while. If I was successful in creating my deb package could that get into the debian repo? Or would I have to become a debian developer first?

Thanks for any help,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/