Re: Speakup with espeak

On 20/11/2007 3:10 AM, John Heim wrote:

It's probably not speechd-up. To find out if the problem is with speech-dispatcher or with speechd-up, you can use the spd-say command.

spd-say "hello world"

Chances are that this will say nothing or perhaps even generate an error message. If you hear nothing, then your problem is with speech-dispatcher. I think you are probably the victim of a mistake in the speech-dispatcher config files for espeak. In /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf, find a lline like this:

"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH -

And change it to say this:
"echo \"$DATA\" | espeak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH
-

The difference between the two lines is that the first says speak and the second says espeak. In other words, one pipes the output from aplay to speak (which is wrong) and the other pipes it to espeak (which is right). Here is a link to a espeak-generic.conf file that works for me:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/espeak-generic.conf

Its working now. (Someone sent it to me off list) so thanks for that.

Another thing that may be wrong is that you may not have installed alsaplayer. To do that type:

apt-get alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-utils

I remember getting that. But at least it works now.

Thanks for all your help.