Re: resetting audio in gnome

I think I know of an easy way to do a reinstall, but one must be able to see to do it. If one goes to the add/remove programs, simply unchecking orca and rebooting will remove it. Then going to the same box, and checking it, and after a time (I don't know, maybe 5 minutes?) Rebooting and Orca should be reloaded, just like it was when first came. I have to fill in a username, and password, without ever hearing anything. Then run mouse up to Applications, in top left corner, and then down 7 arrows to add/remove. Then I get a list of all available programs. I see to click acessibility, and then note ORCA as checked, and It was working this afternoon, but not now!! So I may have to try something more also!! This has come and gone before, and I know not why. Sorry.

Stephen Clower wrote:

Hi Will,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem is that sound isn't being heard, not the inability to load orca. I've had orca up and running on the machine since January, so it's probably safe to assume it's speaking even though nothing is being heard. I suspect something happened to the ESD mixer since that's the output port I selected in the gnome audio preferences. If I could reset these values to their defaults, that would probably solve the problem. Would a complete removal of gnome and reinstallation from the ubuntu repository do the trick? Seems like overkill to fix such a small problem, but I'm willing to do that if it's my only option left.

- All my best,
- Steve