To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: ubuntu linux

Hi,

Not sure how many of the other console screen readers are under active development. I know Emaxspeak is, but that's really meant for use in Emax.

I'm also not sure of the status of hardware speech support in Gnome Speech (which is what I think all the Gnome screen readers use to do their speaking). I think the emphasis has been more on software speech. I'm only now dipping my toe into the world which is the Gnome desktop, so I can't really speak authoritatively about it.

Geoff.