No wireless interfaces displaied

Hello list,
I installed finally my debian etch system and managed to install the wireless-tools package. I ran the iwconfig command and the system showd that now wireless interfaces were supported or found. I did it all in the console. Then I handed it over to my instructor, he told that the network cards were turned off, but after turning them on, there was no change. Should I have ran an iwlist command first and if there's a way to solve this problem, please answer.
With regards
Jürgen Dengo