Re: Are there any software for us blind to access bios settings?

I never got the idea how one can use the open bios type of system, and another one is out there called linuxbios. Even if there is code out there, what are people using for motherboards to put it on, or are they designing those too?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Chase" <blinux.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: Are there any software for us blind to access bios settings?

Most standard x86 boxes don't have a serial-port-accessible BIOS.
My understanding is that Sun has boxes that will use a serial
console for interacting with the BIOS.  It's generally considered
a server-class feature.

A couple items I found:

-Compaq seems to offer (or have offered in the past) an x86
server with serial BIOS.  The only details I could find were in
this PDF:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/smartstart/bios-serialconsole.pdf

-Certain Tyan motherboards (antiquated?) seem to support a BIOS
option that, once configured the first time, allows for serial
access to the BIOS.  This link has some suggested motherboards
that have serial support in the BIOS

http://linux-1u.net/SerialConsole/

-it also sounds like the OpenBIOS project has support for serial
consoles, but I haven't toyed with that.

Just a few ideas,

-tim