Re: virtual machine question

Hi there. I'd like to be able to use this with software speech, preferrably something better than festival if it is out there for linux. How would I get JFW to read the installation and actually get a small linux running on windows? I'd rather use this idea if possible than having to buy a KVM and audio switcher to control the old machine that I will be putting linux on. I wouldn't bother if JFW read SSH to a point of being able to edit files over it easily.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Chase" <blinux.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: virtual machine question

I qwould like to have the operating systems run at the same time.

One doesn't need to use vmware. One could use QEMU or Bochs. Both are emulators that will allow you to do a simple install within a virtual machine. There are distributions of Linux that are designed to fit on a USB key and boot within Windows using QEMU (I think Puppy Linux and [pardon my language] Damn Small Linux are such a beasts). Lastly, there's a version of Linux called "Cooperative Linux" that, instead of targeting the X86 architecture, targets the "Win32" architecture. A crazy twisting of ideas, but it allows you to run Linux as a native process under Windows.

You can learn more at

Bochs:
http://bochs.sf.net

QEMU:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

Puppy on QEMU:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/QEMU-Puppy-10352.shtml

DSL on QEMU:
http://damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

Cooperative Linux ("coLinux"):
http://www.colinux.org/

There are mixed blessings to the process. Bochs is supposedly slower than QEMU. With Bochs, I know you actually get a real virtual machine. QEMU might be the same way. The DSL and Puppy ports are nice because they've already done the hard work for you. However, you can do your own install in a virtual machine of your favorite flavor of accessible Linux.

Best wishes...

-tim