Re: Question and info about Suse

what do you think about a Pentium 2 processor, 4.02 gb of hard disk, 64 mb of ram, video card of Trident Cyber and sound card of Ess Technologies?

Other than possibly for the sound-card...only because I haven't tried it and don't have any hardware compatibility lists on hand, so I can't vouch for it. In all likelyhood, it will all work fine. While Linux will most certainly run on such a machine, I'm not sure recent versions of Suse are slim and trim enough to run on such a beast without a lot of work. While you mention gnopernicus, you don't specifically state whether you intend to run it in a console, or try running the GUI (the X Window System) wherein you would need gnopernicus.

You mention wanting braille, which sounds like a console version running brltty (or perhaps speakup with a braille driver?) might do the trick for you.

I would recommend a lighter version--debian, slackware, or gentoo depending on your geekiness would be my recommendations, though there are also a lot of folks on the list who opt for Red-Hat/Fedora. It used to be modestly light, but has grown with time. YMMV. I have a P133 laptop with only 32 megs of memory running Debian and it seems to work quite well. I can get X running on it, but it's a bit sluggish, and I wouldn't try to use Gnome/KDE on the poor critter.

If you are just using the console and a braille console (or hardware TTS), those specs should work quite well for you. If you're trying to hammer in a GUI, at a mimimum, more RAM would certainly help. If you're using software TTS, a slightly beefier processor and more RAM would likely be helpful, though possibly not essential. It would just feel sluggish, I suspect. Fine in a pinch, or while experimenting, but I suspect you wouldn't want to use it day in and day out.

Just a few thoughts from a guy who likes to keep his old dogged machines running, even when they're waaaay past their prime.

-tim