Re: Recording Streaming Audio?

Hi,

I have two more comments on recording streams under Linux. First, the package I was thinking of is streamripper. You can get it at:

http://streamripper.sf.net/

I know there are Debian and FreeBSD packages for it so it should run on other distros. It only does mp3 files. I think it can handle .pls files directly since it claims compatibility with Shoutcast servers. I've used it to record ACB Radio Interactive with some success.

The other comment is about .wma and .asf streams. I don't know anything about Mplayer and don't use it. However, I've found that mimms works best. It is also in Debian and you could try mimms.sf.net but I'm not sure if that's right. It records streams and makes them seekable, or at least those I've heard are. It doesn't handle meta files directly but you could probably do:

mimms `cat file.asx`

That is untested though. It is designed for mms urls. If anyone knows a way to get RealMedia, I'm interested.