Re: Fw: new to linux.....

OK. Then my suggestion is that you get your Linux working with your
hardware synth first. It's much easier. Then, if you're still interested
in software speech, you'll have less trouble working on that, because
you'll know that your assistive applications are working.

You mentioned emacspeak 14. That's very old. Emacspeak is currently at
version 21.

I would also suggest you reinstall with either the Speakup Modified
Fedora, Debian, or Slackware. You'll get better help on the lists with
these distributions. You'll also be able to use your Apollo during the
installation, and you'll be able to use it from the Linux command line
to resolve configuration issues.

If you're a braille user and have a braille display, you can get similar
value using brltty.

In other words, my opinion is that you're starting in the wrong place.