To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 2:30 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: new to linux.....

The old ViaVoice relies on libraries that are no longer available. In
other words, that's a mismatch between the new Mandrake and the old
ViaVoice.

Do you have a hardware speech synthesizer?

vasile radu writes:
I am not so bigginer also!!!
I've installed mandrake 10.1 3 cds distro with multimedia and office
workstation packages
I get emacspeak 14 rpm and installed it
then I got viavoice rtk and sdk and tried to install them but (after the
instalation)
when I try to get some speak from them with ./runcmdlinespeak (which is a
sample for viavoice)
I get the error segmentation fault clsdir.....
I left this way because someone on to this list answer me that viavoice is
no longer supported under linux and get the way to festival.
In the begining I get from rpmfind
the rpms neccessary for mandrake 10.1 to instal festival i mean:

festival-1.4.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
festvox_kallpc16k_1.4.3_1mdk.noarch.rpm
and others like it
festvox-kallpc-common-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
festvox-kedlpc16k-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
festvox-kedlpc-common-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
festlex-CMU-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
festlex-POSLEX-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
festvox-kallpc8k-1.4.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm
After the documentation I read with this packages instaled festival must
speack on my computer I tried to give to it:

festival_server
nothing
i tried festival
and I get the prompt festival>
i write:
(SayText "Hello world")
error don't know (hello ) variable
after this
I got the sources of all packages of festival 1.95beta
and follow the steps in instalation guide but nothing!!!
a happy new year
/////////
Radu Vasile
Techinc Consultant in computers
"better light a candle than curse the darkness"

"follow the white rabbit"
e-mail:
vradu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
matematicianu@xxxxxxx