Re: Gentoo experience

I used a Knoppix cd with brltty; I believe the speakup site also still has a speakup-adapted knoppix so you also might be able to do this with that speakupmodifed knoppix if you like. There are instructions for installing gentoo using knoppix--mostly the same as normal but a few extra things to do. By using knoppix, even after I chrooted into the system, I was able to keep one console open to the website with the handbook and thus look at the steps as I performed them. The only real problem I've had so far is that gentoo's version of brltty which you won't use until after installing, uses /usr/bin and /usr/lib instead of /bin and /lib; this is a problem if you want brltty early in boot; in fact, I'm still trying to get it to work when started from inittab even using the regular non-gentoo version from the brltty website. Also, the gentoo brltty wants to add gpm when it installs--whether it actually configures with gpm I'm not sure. you can avoid it if you don't want gpm with the -gpm flag. But I had no problem with the install and speakup is already in the gentoo-dev-sources and I think the gentoo-sources. Also, if you want realplayer for trlplayer I had to do some unmasking and some other things; I wrote about it when I did it either in the speakup or blinux list so it should be in those archives. I also had trouble getting gentoo's mplayer to work for me and did my own install of that; this might have been because I allowed it to install with X but I'm not sure. of course, you don't need to work on your audio until after you have installed and rebooted.

-- Cheryl