Re: Gentoo experience

Hi Jason,

Are you installing from the LiveCD, or do you have another distribution on your drive that you're using to bootstrap it? I used the latter approach, partly because I didn't know if I could get the LiveCD to talk and partly because I already had another distro installed and didn't want to be without my computer while it was building things (although doing a stage 3 install would probably get you up and running a lot quicker). Apparently the LiveCD has Speakup installed, though (I didn't know that when I did the install and haven't ever used it, so I can't comment any more than that).

I just looked at the genkernel x86 config, and it includes Speakup if you build a 2.6 kernel with the synthesizers being loaded as modules. I'm assuming that this means that it wouldn't read boot messages, so you might want to modify the config or build a kernel manually once you got it installed.

And, yeah, it is handy to have the install guide available while you're installing; I'd suggest either getting it or a quick reference brailled if you can or keeping it open in another window/console.

Sorry for the non-answer, but let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --