Re: Tinkering with Compressed Speech

I didn't try to compile and run your code, but you're on the right track.

APH has a newer box for speech compression; I don't know the selling price, but I would expect it to sound better than the old unit.

Do a web search for "time-scale modification" and start reading. One approach to cleaning up the output involves doing autocorrelation calculations on the audio data, looking for places where one piece of waveform (approx 20 milliseconds long) can smoothly join another piece within a useful skip interval. Other approaches do fast Fourier transforms or sinusoidal speech coding/decoding in an attempt to match similar segments. Most systems, one way or another, do a windowing function to overlap the ends of the signals; one window is fading down while another is fading up, so that any mismatch is partly masked. You might find something useful on this by looking for "synchronous overlap add" in a search. The rotating tape heads did this in an analog way; the playback head had more than one gap in it, and you controlled the amount of overlap by the wrap angle.

There are a lot of time scale modification algorithms out there; some are better for speech; some are computationally less complex, and some are built to achieve the maximum amount of time compression. Look for "Malcolm Slaney" and see if he has a demonstration page of his really fast speech somewhere.