Re: oracle linux installation bad news

At 07:55 PM 9/23/2004, Jude DaShiell you wrote:
For 10G at least not all of the installation can be done using character interface. Doing a google search on "oracle linux installation" will bring up as one of its results werner pusche's page and that's my source. I'm not happy about that since I've been studying oracle sql at work and figured to do a linux install so I could get some practice at home if X wasn't required. Since that's the case, I think I'll stick with presql and mysql.

Just today I got the Oracle client software installed entirely via an ssh connection. You have to run an x server but you don't have to do anything via the GUI. I even got the perl DBD::Oracle to compile although that was very difficult and I'm not entirely sure what I did to finally make it work.

I don't know if you can install the server entirely via the text interface though. That was one thing I tried when I was trying to compile DBD::Oracle. It ended w/o generating a "silent" install log file.