slackware 9.1 and Belkin router problem

I have a cable modem account set up and the company uses dhcp so that's no problem. The cable technician says my cable modem is working and active. I have a Belkin router hooked up between the computer and cable modem as instructed in the Belkin manual. When I run ifconfig eth0, the IP address I get is 192.168.2.37 which is the router's firewall address. Is there something I can do on the slackware system to get the cable company's ip address and finish up getting the router working so it will provide firewall services but also allow an internet connection? The technician over at Belkin does not know linux. A consolation, windows 98 can't get out on the router either. The cable modem technician doesn't know linux either but he did try the router on windows and told me the connected light is blinking. The Belkin technician told me the connected light blinks when there's a good outside connection to the router.