festival and sound questions

Hello all, I'm currently running a Dell latitude notebook with an Intel
82801AC97 sound system and Fedora core 1 installed.  I'm trying to simplify
my configuration and am running into the following problems.
1.  If I use the default sound drivers Festival speaks very fast and at a
very high pitch.  From what I have learned this is because the sound card
does not have its own clock.
2.  If I use the commercially available OSS drivers speech is normal but OSS
does not reliably initialize on boot up.
3.  It is looking like ALSA is going to be my best bet but I'm not sure if I
can get away with installing it without rebuilding the kernel.  I've
installed all relevant alsa rpms.  When I run alsaconf I am told that no PNP
cards can be found which I assume is because I haven't removed the default
drivers.
I hope this isn't considered off topic is it relates to speech access.  Any
thoughts as the my best course of action would be much appreciated.
regards
Mike Pedersen