Re: Compiling kernel with Speakup

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:06:27PM -0800, Tony Baechler wrote:
> At 12:28 PM 12/29/03 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi.  What happens if you try to patch speakup into their source?  You
> >might be able to patch speakup in without any problems.
>
> I haven't tried that yet because of the several diffs which need to be
> applied.  From my limited understanding, they expect certain strings in
> certain locations in the source files, so if I patch in something like
> Speakup that would alter the source files so they would not patch with the
> diffs.  Someone please tell me if I am wrong on this.  I am thinking there
> must be a build or configure script which I am missing somewhere because
> they have at least a couple dozen diffs from what I can tell.

I'm no expert on this so hopefully someone who knows more will step in
and corect.  It looks for certain strings in the file but it looks for
them in a general area instead of an exact location.  Unless the string
patch wants is removed or moved really far from the expected area in the
file, I think it should work.
Remember, you can't hurt anything by trying.  The only risk would be if
you succeed in building the kernel and the config is bad for your
system.  I do everything with my kernels as my normal user.  I only
become root when I install the compiled kernel.  Just play with it as
your normal user and you can't break the system.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny