Compiling kernel with Speakup

Hello all. I need some help here. I am looking at Engarde Linux at engardelinux.org. It claims to be very secure and is designed for servers. I would like to install it, but the only way I know of to do that with speech is to compile a special kernel with Speakup. I found no boot scripts to modify to use something like yasr etc. Anyway, they are using the 2.4.20 kernel but with a bunch of patches for extra security. I am not a programmer and I really don't know what to do. I can patch files and I can follow written instructions, but they seem nonexistant. They are using RPM and they provide the kernel source as well as both a binary and source CD image. Could someone please look into this or help me figure this out? Thanks very much.

I can compress the two CD images and put them on the web if you need them since their ftp server is a little slow. Otherwise, you can get everything from ftp://ftp.engardelinux.org/. They also offer http access.