notification of mail

Hi all

I am trying to find some way to get my computer to make a sound as soon as mail arives in my mailbox.  I tried
~/.procmailrc, but that doesn't seem to work, either because I am running postfix or for some other reason.  Is there
any way using postfix and rh9, even if I need to download something, to get my computer to do something when a message
arives?  All the mail checker programs I found required GTK or KDE or some other graphical interface.

Thanks for any help,
PRINCE