RE: next elba version

I can confirm that the maximum number of cells you can get for a BrailleNote is 32.

Luke

At 07:23 PM 15/12/2003, Tommy Craig wrote:
Hi John,

        I don't believe that there is a version of the Braillenote with a 40
cell display. I do understand you reasons for wanting a larger display. I
use the Elba as a notetaker but when working at home I use a Braillex 2D
Screen with an eighty cell display. I do believe that the more Braille you
have the better. It's just a question of cost and practicality. I've never
understood the 18 cell concept. I always thought that it should be 20 cells.

Tommy

-----Original Message----- From: blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John J. Boyer Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 1:39 AM To: blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: next elba version

Personally, I would be more ready to buy an Elba if it had a 40-cell version. The reasons are that that is half the standard 80-character screen width and that we much prefer a 40-cell braille display for proofreading the math and science books which we produce. One of our proofreaders is using a Braille Lite 18, but she is waiting impatiently for her Braille Lite 40 to get back from the repair shop. I understand that the Braille Star version of the Braille Note does have 40 cells.

John
 On Mon, 15 Dec
2003, coscell wrote:

> What's the reason for 32-cell?
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
> > Tommy,
> >
> > Does the Elba have a 40-cell version? What is the URL for the Elba
> > Website?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Tommy Craig wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Mat,
> > >
> > >   I don't have any definate answers yet. I hope we'll have a new
> > > version shortly after the first of the year. The main new feature
> > > will be the ability to use grade 2 Braille for emailing and things
> > > like that. Of course bug fixes and Maybe a few more surprises.
> > >
> > > Tommy
> > >

> > > p.s. Also enhanced editor features.

John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer Computers to
Help People, Inc. http://www.chpi.org 825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703