debian install issue solved

Thanks for sharing your solution to this.  I find it timely, as I'm
considering a Debian install, using either Speakup or an external
terminal as a serial console.  If I go with Speakup, my external
doubletalk would be the synthesizer.  For the serial console option,
I'd run a terminal emulator on my braillenspeak 640.  This box now has an old version of RH,
but, I may want to try another distro, and, Debian looks like a worthy
candidate.

-Dave