Re: Use text mode (was: Newbie

Hi.  The binary for yasr is only 39K or so, but you can't just stick it on a
floppy disk.  It expects to find files in several directories on the
system.  If you wanted to use it to install Linux, you would need to
build a version of your distro's installer with it added.  That's not a
simple task.  Since there's only so much room available for the
installer, you will have to understand all the details of the distro to
decide what you can leav out or replace.
DOS was probably the last OS where you could just copy a program to a
floppy and expect it to work.

Testing AKA Sarge will be the next release of Debian.  To learn more
about Debian check out
http://www.debian.org

I started out in Linux with Debian and have stuck with it.  I don't
beleive it's all that hard to install.  For most questions during the
install you can just press enter to except the default.  The
installation manual for Debian is well written.  It probably seems more
complicated than it actually is because Debian runs on 10 different
hardware platforms.  You can run it on anything from an IBM main frame
to an Amiga.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I want to say something which
should be pounded into the head of any newbie.  Linux really isn't free.
It won't cost any money, but it requires you to read and learn a lot of
things to get it working.  If you don't want to read and learn then
Linux might not be for you.  Of course, you can always pay a Linux user to
install and maintain it.  There are distros with installers that do
everything for you during the install but you still have to read and
learn.  If you're willing to take the time I think Linux is worth it.
Remember, all the documentation you need is accessable.  Also, people
are usually willing to answer your questions.  Usually when someone on a
Linux list tells you to go read you should do it and then come back if
you still don't understand.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny