redhat unable to probe video monitor

I have 8.0 and installed it for text mode operations and it couldn't probe
my video monitor even though it was on and connected.  The system did
correctly detect my video card but not the monitor.  SuperProbe seems to
have been removed and I don't know of anything else to use to get it
detected and configured.  This for a totally blind person would seem funny
except that if the monitor doesn't get detected figuring out a good
setting for DISPLAY environment variable is going to be a real bear!  As
things stand, I can't run realplayer; trplayer, or bastille-linux even in
the curses mode since bastille strangely enough requires the DISPLAY
environment variable to bee set correctly before it will operate.  If
anyone has any ideas what's best to do in this situation I'd like to know.
The only reason I reinstalled redhat is that that's the one version of
Linux I have on which bastille will work.  Bastille is a strange package
anyway, what security package requires extra packages be downloaded and
installed before it will work?  That's right bastille.  A simple text
interface without all of the curses garbage and X garbage would have been
lots more appropriate.  Even the bastille authors admit on their web page
http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/ that the X interface is less secure
yet they offer it and hours were spent developing it.  Those hours could
have been better spent on other projects or in improving the basic
operation of the package but were not, and for that reason even if I ever
get bastille working at some point down the road I'll wonder how good it
would be now without all of that time spent on X.